Sunday, August 25, 2024

Long ago and far away...

 Hard to believe that I've not posted all summer, but then look at the pile of work done and no wonder why not. I did make that bird quilt. While sewing the last bit, I wondered what to do with it and felt an answer from the Lord almost instantly. I was very busy putting together helpers and planning a family reunion the end of July and my heart heard, "Give it away -- at a free raffle at the reunion."

So I did. It was won by a young son of a cousin from California. He just had his 16th birthday, and when flying up for the reunion, someone stole his birthday gift from his suitcase. He said it was like getting this to console him for that loss. What a lovely part of the reunion. (The rest of it was also amazing!)

This isn't the greatest photo, but you can see the use of scraps, both in the birds and in the border. Its name: "It Takes All Kinds" which really suit the family event. It was relatives on my dad's side, over 100 of us. We rented a hall with adjoining camp ground, playground, and hired a caterer. One foodie told me the meals were the best she ever had. I could go on and on, but this blog is about quilting. 

I liked making these birds so much that I've done nine more and planning another quilt, this time to keep.

Also, I did a small table topper and another blue scrap quilt, then tackled a box of green and blue scraps. So far, made an assortment of blocks, about 3-4 dozen of them. They will eventually be another scrap quilt. It will go to charlty.

The table quilt came from a leftover block given to me at a Guild sew day - one of those "do something with this" items. Another charity quilt.

Then I did two doggie quilts for my daughter's cute dogs who happen to love quilts. One of them plays with her 'blankie' until she has it worn out and needs a more substantial one to toss and roll in. Hers has pictures of a look-a-like all over it. The other one has bones and I managed to have doggie backings so they each took part of a day to make and were delivered to their new owners in July. No photos worth posting, but they were cute.

The one below is"No More Blues" and a bit of a fib because after finishing it, I found a stack of light blue blocks and made them into another quilt, no photo yet, but really like the soft look. Next time... Both are charity quilts, at least so far no other plan.

I'm also working to finish a special quit for my brother's wife. She has MS and is permanently in a wheel chair even to sleep. He told me what they use to keep her warm at night and immediately I asked for the size needed. I had a group of charm blocks already out on a table trying to decide what to do with them and they worked up to the size he gave me. Just need to get the binding done and deliver it. 

Life has been busy, but my sewing machines and the iron do not cool off for long. Too much to do and so many ideas. I'm thankful for the opportunities to create using up even the bits and pieces from other quilts. 

A double-click may help to see these better. The color is too dark. Sigh. 

I've put "Post on quilt blog" on my calendar and will get reminders. No promises, but will try. I read others though!

1 comment:

Elaine Adair said...

Hoorayyyyyy - you're still out there and doing a lot of quilting as well. Good to hear you're going strong and still quilting a lot!