Thursday, September 22, 2016

Quilting the HSTs

This week I started quilting this small project without any plan. I couldn't design anything that had an over-all appeal, but has designs that I liked for some of the parts. So starting with that, it is coming along. This photo shows a partly finished area and some of the ruler tools that I'm using. Rulers are for people who cannot draw a straight line :-) !

The on-point squares on the right will have some oval flower petals in the center, as well as the triangles on the right side. I've not yet figured out what to do with the HSTs under the yellow ruler, but am taking my time. The experts tell that the ideas will come.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Sewing but not quilts

I've two new tops that need to be quilted, but am taking a break. I've a closet full of fabric that needs to be sewed into clothes or find a new home. Sunday I made a pair of slacks. Today it was a blouse.

But before that happened, I went for a walk in the trees. We have a wildlife refuge park practically across the street. The leaves are starting to turn and the sun was shining. One leaf jumped out of the busy background and I had to bring it home. Its colors are like Christmas, but nature says read and green need not be restricted to December!

Friday, September 9, 2016

Thangles for a table

At least a year ago our LQS had a competition or something using Thangles and pre-cut strips. Each made 28 HST that would finish at 2". I didn't want to get into the contest or whatever it was, but liked the Thangles (supplied) and the batiks, so bought a bunch of them. Yikes, what a thing to do!

But they are cut, sewn, designed into a medallion looking table topper which will be about 37" x 42" and now that it is this far, I'm kinda glad for persistence. I will look okay.

This is after they are sewn into vertical strips. A few on the left are sewn together. 

This is just the squares precariously stuck to my design wall. I was so scared of brushing against them and knocking them off to the floor that I pinned each row so they would not be out of place no matter what happened on their way to the sewing machine! A narrow border might be nice, but finding the material (any of the umteen batiks) could be a challenge.