Wednesday, June 24, 2015

With Scottish blood in my veins, I cannot throw away parts and pieces. The last post, Modern Towers, was made up of leftovers from another quilt. It was so satisfying, so I'm trying another. This time the leftovers are from K-5, a kaleidoscope using Ricky Tim's method. (Click on K-5 to see it.) You make strata and cut out mirror-image pieces. It is great fun, but leaves many triangles of strata. I sat down with a sketchbook and came up with a way to use them. 

First, I cut them all the same size with the lines going parallel to one right-angle edge. Then went to the local fabric store and found a complementary color for the background. From this, I cut pieces to join the bias edges, and strips to attach them to the rectangular pieces (also leftovers). 

This picture is the leftovers up on the wall with the background pinned to it. The strip is actually 12 triangles, so about 52" long x 6" wide. I decided the quilt size - it will be narrower on the left, wider on the right. Next task is to cut those pieces, sew them, then get a backing/batting and put it on the machine. I'm going to use a modern, angular panto to quilt it. More photos soon!

P.S. Kali's Cherry Tree also got a "Viewers' Choice" - I am so blessed!!

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A pleasant surprise!

The Edmonton & District Quilt Guild held their biannual show last weekend. Nearly 300 quilts were on display, in about 7 categories. They allow only one prize per person, consisting of a beautiful ribbon and money. 

I entered four quilts: Kali's Cherry Tree, Horseplay, Layers, and Lord of the Rings. Here is the result:

Someone brought the judge over and introduced us. She told me that she remembered all four of my quilts and apart from the rule of only one prize person, she would have given me four ribbons. I thought she was just being nice until someone told me she would not say that without meaning it. Talk about a confidence booster!

Also, last week I finished "Modern Towers" and really like the results. It is quilted in vertical parallel rows using the channel locks on my Avante. They look like mini bicycle clips we used to use to keep our pant legs from getting caught in the chain! Slick tool. I don't know what to do with this one yet, maybe I'll put it on Etsy. Sea Foam went to Quilts of Valour on the weekend, but this one is too small. Those soldiers require bigger quilts to wrap themselves in.

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Finished - just about

The "Boys will be Boys" quilt has a label so it officially finished and soon on its way to a dear friend who has three of them, and one daughter. 

The "Modern Towers" quilt has a few threads to hide, and the label to sew in place. I suppose it needs a sleeve, but I'm not sure. My daughter has been curling up on the sofa with it, so it is 'used' already!

Here are the labels... I changed the name on the boys quilt, just because!

I printed these on my ink jet using June Taylor Colorfast Fabric for Ink Jets. It is a bit still, but the package must get used up. This stuff is too expensive, so when I run out of the packages I bought, I'll go back to making my own with Bubble Set and white to-dye fabric with freezer paper ironed to it.