Sunday, September 28, 2008

Heart Mats have new homes

The writer's conference is over. I'd made eleven little quilts to decorate the tables. The speaker, Jane Kirkpatrick, even brought a quilt. She writes historical fiction but has a coffeetable book about quilts. I asked that no one make a big deal about the decorations, but the woman who was the MC wanted to buy one, and she had to tell everyone that I'd made them, and the next thing I knew people were holding out money. I sold five of them in about fifteen minutes.

I've not tried to sell my quilts. Once someone asked me to make a baby quilt for her second daughter because the older one would not share her quilt. She paid me for it, but that was the only time anyone even offered to purchase. Yesterday was a total surprise.

The MC liked the little round one "Pieced but still Blue and Broken" because it spoke to an important experience in her life. Another person liked the colors of "October Hearts" and another wanted "Rose in my Heart" because she thought it was beautiful. One writer debated -- should she buy one for her daughter or be selfish and get "Heart in Woven Ribbons" for herself? She finally said, "I'm going to be selfish" and paid the higher price for the one she liked. Jane Kirkpatrick bought "Confetti Heart" because she "just loved it."

Funny, I don't do this to sell them, and while it felt good to make those sales, what was even better was the delight people had with their choices. Quilts make people happy, certainly for various reasons, but making people happy is incredibly delightful.

Now that the conference is done (and I am off the executive), I've already named my next quilt and haven't even started it yet!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go! No better feedback than this, ie someone asking to buy your product. I revisited the hearts via your links and they're certainly worth buying.

Joyce said...

Wonderful. It's so empowering when somebody likes your work enough to pay for it. If you don't mind me asking, what did you charge? I can never decide what to say when people ask what I charge. I have sold very few quilts but have been asked about my prices. So far, I price by how much I like the quilt. If I still love it I price it way out of reach. Lol.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm renaming the little blue one, though, to "Broken yet Whole"

"In paradox is hidden truth."

Elsie Montgomery said...

The prices ranged from $30 to $75. To get these numbers, I asked Wanda at Exuberant Color (link on the right side of my blog). I may have put some a bit lower than her suggestions, and others a bit higher.

Hey, "Accidental Poet" - you can call it as you like (do you want a new label?) I'm just happy that you are happy with it, the smallest of the quilts that loudly spoke to you. What a blessing.

Thanks all for the encouragement!

Elsie

Bradie Sparrow said...

Congratulations on your sales!
Bradie

sewkalico said...

Well done! I'm not surprised, they were all wonderful!

jovaliquilts said...

Congratulations! Guess the quilts were a big hit!!!

Comfort Cove Designs said...

It is a great feeling to sell your work isn't it?!! I have been selling my work for the last 10 years and I still get a rush!

You have a beautiful blog and I will visit it many times in the future!

Hello from Newfoundland, Canada. Feel free to drop to visit my blog anytime

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea