Monday, September 8, 2008

The mats are done - big cheer!

Finally, they are done, meaning the ten mats that I promised to make for a writer's conference using the theme, "Out of the abundance of the heart the pen writes."

This one is called Pieced but still Blue & Broken for obvious reasons. It is not very large, but I had fun couching the cording around it and sewing on a few beads. Putting binding on a round quilt is super easy, so I have my eye on our round table that could use a nice quilted table cloth.

The next one is called Victorian Hearts. I'm not into this one at all, but someone might like it. I did enjoy the quilting and lace is an interesting addition. The lace ends at the bottom with two 'tassels' dropping down and beaded on the end. This doesn't show up well in a photo, but it gives balance since the heart seems to be too high on the background. Lowering it with those tassels would not work. I used a foundation method to deal with lots of scraps from the other heart mats.

The last one is a total break from all this pink, red, Valentine stuff that I don't like myself (someone might?). I had the idea yesterday and just grabbed some fall colors and made it in a couple hours. I call it October's Hearts because the leaves are still green here (most of them) and I don't want them to turn until October!

I'm glad these are finished and I con go back to other things that are more my style. I don't think I will make another heart motif quilt for a long time!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a star!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad to hear you got them done before the deadline. The fall colors were a nice break from the pinkness.

sewkalico said...

Well, I have enjoyed seeing all the variations on this heart theme that you have so cleverly created. And I must say that the Fall one is rather gorgeous indeed!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Elsie

I just love your October Hearts quilt with the warmer colors. This will make a beautiful fall quilt.

God bless,
Millie

Rose Marie said...

They are all gorgeous .... now it is time for you to play with your own stuff!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Elsie your mats are just so gorgeous, so much work...wow...and thanks so much for making a comment on my blog....