Saturday, May 22, 2021

Question answered!

Last post's question: I found a YouTube answer. It showed how to do a 'fake trapunto' by sewing two layers, right sides together, trimming the seam allowance, then slitting one of them to turn the piece right sides out. She used the slit to put in some stuffing and then sewed the piece on the quilt top.

For me, I can eliminate the stuffing and sew a piece of flannel with the two pieces of fabric so that the flannel is on the inside when I turn it. Then I can sew around the edges, do some fancy quilting on each piece, and then hand or machine sew it on the quilt top. I'll do it, and send pictures. 

The binding is done. I usually do 2.25" but this time used 2/5" and wound up with more on the backside than normal. It is tidy and looks okay though. Also, I used Glide thread since my longarm bobbin was half full and didn't want to leave it that way. I will never go back! Glide does not fray, twist, tangle and sewing it with a fine needle made it almost invisible. Fast is the operative word. This binding was finished in half the time I'd predicted. Glide comes in every color imaginable and is not expensive. A cone will do several quilts plus the bindings. Love this thread!



1 comment:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I use Glide exclusively in my sit down long arm - I love it!!! Hooray for finding the answer you needed to your question (I had NO idea).