When a friend suggested blue sashing for these red slabs, I cringed. I've never like red/blue combinations unless it was jeans and a cowboy shirt. In this case, the reds are fairly bright and the blues are loud, loud. However, I didn't have anything else in my stash so gave it a shot. When the top was done, I was not overly impressed, so decided to add a piano key border, partly because that would make it big enough for a Quilt of Valour. I had just enough scraps left to do it. Here is the result...
Now I changed my mind about red and blue, not because of the particular values, hues, etc. but because of the balance. The top had too much blue yelling at me, but adding those keys toned down the blue and gave red the prominence. Balance is another thing to think of when making a quilt.
This photo is the top. I've cut strips for the binding, blue and a bit of red. The backing is a wild pieced thing with almost all my red scraps from that scrap bin plus some blue/red plaids.
The bin has a few little pieces left and one that is about 8" x 10" so I am happy with that. Of course, my stash still has reds, but bigger pieces, not scraps.