Friday, July 23, 2010

Setting Sun is under way!

A few posts/months ago I posted a sketch of a quilt idea for my 36" Mariner's Compass quilt block. Since the block is so large, the quilt is huge, well, not exactly. It is about a queen size (about 70" x 100") but big for a wall hanging. I'm laid it out on a ping pong table because my design wall is too small. Some of the colors are changed, and I managed to get my computer to put "tulle" over the bottom half of the circle~

So far: the horizon of the sea is sewn to a thin line of very pale gold. I've two colors of tulle, navy and a dove gray. Right now, the navy looks the best, but it will be near the last to go on. Don't know if I should cover all the water with it or not, but the price is low so I bought 3 meters of each color. I have lots of fabrics to work into this piece. Several watery looking ones for the water and lots of variety for the sky. I'm just wondering if I will still be sane when it is finished. Or am I even sane to start it?!  One positive. The table is in our walkout and my sewing machine is on the second floor. I will let you know how many pounds I lose running up and down the stairs.

Also, this is post #199. Next one will give details for a draw, just to celebrate #200. 

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

It's amazing!

Cindi said...

I was wondering when we'd start seeing the creation of this quilt! It's going to be so pretty - it's such an original concept. Hope you post as you make it, as I would love to see the process.

Mary-Kay said...

That looks really good. If you're going for reflection I think you've got it. I was thinking if you wanted to use 2 colours of the tulle you could layer them with the top one being a whole piece. Tjis way you could make the water look like it has depth and shadows under the trees.In the bottom corners you could make it look really dark.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fantastic ... good for you!

TB said...

This is a nice design. I see that you've started the work, and it looks like fun.