Friday, July 2, 2021

Blue being bound, Red getting quilted...

The blue quilt from my last post is in a pile on our living room coffee table. I'm doing the binding by hand on the back, during hockey games and watching mystery shows. It is fast, again using Glide, the most wonderful thread for this task. It does not twist, break, or annoy in any way!

The red queen-size is on my machine and I'm using a very simple panto called Ebb and Flow. It looks like ocean waves but I'm doing it vertically, so on this quilt, it goes with the brilliant tree panel in the center. She wanted red and a nature theme. I had a few red slab blocks so incorporated them. Many of the fabrics have floral designs or leaves or trees. It was fun to make. Since red is notorious for running, the whole quilt is mostly red with a red backing. Hopefully more pictures soon.

I have one more to make for this family of four. She asked for black, also a nature theme. I have a perfect panel and will put black (but not a solid) around it. So far, it is still in my head, but must come out soon! Making quilts with just a bit of 'guidelines' is fun for me.

2 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

WOWWWW - lovely exciting RED.

Just a comment about hand sewing and thread. I keep a folded up piece or dryer fabric softener on my pin cushion and run my hand sewing threads thru it. Sometimes I can't find the "best" thread and just grab something. The softener is a good tool for uncooperative threads.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Yes, I've used that too, and 'Thread Heaven." The beauty of Glide is no stopping to do anything. Downside is now figuring out how to use up those many spools that only have a few yards on them. Basting? Maybe...