Thursday, October 28, 2010

... instead of putting the binding on a baby quilt...

All my plans to quilt have been interrupted or sidetracked this week. Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I'm trying to look on the bright side. Last night gave me something to smile about. 

Our youngest son (who is nearly 40 and does not own a sewing machine) came over with a costume he bought for the weekend. He didn't let me take a picture so I found one that is similar. The costume was size large, but DS is a big boy. The chest was too tight and the elbow 'armor' kept popping off. His girl friend had already carefully opened the seam in back. I used an old sheet to make a pattern for a large almond-shaped addition. Amazingly, he'd gone to a fabric store and found the necessary silver lame that matched the fabric covering the heavily padded armor. I also extended the tabs with Velcro on the elbow patches. He was delighted. All this took over an hour... and while I sewed, he was in my kitchen making himself some supper and having a nice visit with his dad. Cool.

3 comments:

Joan said...

Shame he wouldnt let you take a photo - it would have been so special ... and clever you :)

Elaine Adair said...

Yeahh - nice - togetherness with the 'kid'. 8-))

TB said...

I'm sure he is grateful for a Mother who is adept with sewing. What a cool costume if it is similar to the photo.