Friday, December 12, 2008

Tree Skirt and HQ-16

My, oh my, it has been far too long between posts. I've not been idle though. Our church group made an I-Spy quilt which I've basted and will quilt today. It will be my last quilt of that size done on my domestic machine, for I am buying a longarm today!

It is not one of those that cost the same as a nice car. This is the HQ Sixteen. I tried a Porsche (APQS Millennium) a few weeks ago and liked the huge sewing space, but found it very hard on my back and hard to maneuver. Free motion and trying to follow templates was humiliating.

So I tried the HQ, first for maneuverability, then following a template. It was much easier, in fact the results were much better. Also, since it sets closer to the edge of the table, I could stand erect and my back was fine.

The biggest problem is space. I have a studio room about 10.6 x 24, windows on three sides, with a huge U-shaped computer desk in the middle, 6 IKEA cupboards, 3 IKEA tables, a craft table, 3 bookcases, and other assorted stuff like rolling drawer units and a serger table. Don't ask me how, but they fit and I can work in this. So the big question... where do I put a 8-12 foot quilting machine? My GH thinks I've lost it! He is probably right, but that is another post. LOL!

Amazingly, it will work. I took out a couple things that fit elsewhere, consolidated two large tables to hold the quilter, moved the craft table out since I don't need it for basting any longer, and rearranged a few things. The room actually looks bigger now. It is still messy with thread, iron, machines, etc. all in the wrong spots, and the longarm is not here yet, but I will post a photo when it is done.

In the meantime, here is a photo of one of my first quilts. It was supposed to be a tree skirt, but I didn't have the heart to cut it, so it now adorns a table during the Christmas season.

And speaking of that, the tree is up and I'm thinking of ways to enjoy this celebration. We love the turkey and gifts, but also love the Reason for the season. May every one of you experience a restful holiday and great joy!

2 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Beautiful tree skirt...

Tazzie said...

Lovely tree skirt Elsie, I use the very same one under my tree - the issue of BH&G that it came from is one of my very favourite magazines.
Be sure to have a wonderful Christmas.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)