Friday, January 6, 2023

Improv and scraps. . .

After sorting UFOs last week, I was a bit discouraged. Will I live long enough? Anyway, the most important were the orphan blocks sent home with me from our Guild's community outreach division. We do charity quilts and have literally tons of donated fabric. I had several blocks left over from other quilter's projects and a few fabrics to go with each one. Doing improv blocks etc. is fun, but I didn't want to sandwich/quilt them. Then the chair person of that division called me, listened to me whine, and told me to just make the tops. They have lots of longarmers who will finish them! I wanted to hug her and was instantly ready to go to work. 

Here is the first one. The applique blocks are large so this one worked out a good lap size. Just had to add the pink for the outer border. Then I did a purplish one from seven smaller blocks and am nearly finished one from one orphan block and lots of complementary fabrics. It is 50" plus also. No pictures yet. The piano key borders are done by cutting strips and making strata. Then all the leftover bits are added along with the chunks cut from the strata. In one of those quilts, I wound up with no leftovers at all from at least one the colors. Feels good!



2 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

LOVE the comment of "will I live long enough?"! LOL MY step-grandaughter wants me to make her a Hawaiian queen-size quilt and that was my answer. First 'll make a pillow with one block - I think she has not the foggiest idea of what this entails and the idea of a Hawaiian quilt in the deep farm country of Nebraska is unheard of. 8-))) So glad to "see" you again after my long abaence due to ???? just trying to keep head above water ... snow is a better word. I will read your previous posts to learn what you are planning next.

Elaine Adair said...

Lost my comment ...
LOVED your question of "will I live long enough?" so you must have a plan -- i'd better read your previous posts to see what you're up to next. I've asked the same question. Glad to see you are still moving forrward - I fell behind due to trying to keep up but hope to do better with blog posts. Happy New Year.