Monday, April 26, 2010

Candle Mat finally finished, except for the candle

Why does it take two weeks to get at a simple last step? This paper-pieced mat was finished --- except it needed more quilting on the outside border. I decided holly leaves then procrastinated. 

Finally, after less than 15 minutes, they are on there. I used freezer paper and drew one freehand. Then I cut four, turning a few upside down for variety, ironed the results around the edge, quilted around the templates, added a few 'berries' between the ends of the leaves, then moved the templates to the next spot. So simple. 

The finished mat is 15" and has a label with a binding. It was a class exercise, so I had to write on it by hand, but at least it is legible.

My other project, the large mountain scene, has lots of quilting and is nearly done. I've a few bushes to draw into it, and then will be putting on a facing so it looks more like a painting than a quilt. I found a great method by combining a few online discoveries. I'll post the steps next time. Please don't hold your breath. Life has gotten too hectic to make any promises when that will be!

6 comments:

Fiesta said...

gorgeous

sewkalico said...

Your mat looks great! Hope life is good hectic!?

free indeed said...

It's lovely!

Exuberant Color said...

I'm glad to see you are in the finishing stages on a couple pieces. That is surely a good feeling.

SueR said...

A lovely little candle mat! I love those colors.

Joan said...

This looks just wonderful - freat work - do you have the candle yet?