Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"It's A Boy!"

Confession: the middle of this quilt is a panel. Another confession: I no longer call them "cheater" quilts! At least not this one, because it was a lot of work. I added borders and used it for practice quilting on my HQ Sixteen. I went around all the toys, filled spaces, did some in the ditch, and must say that a baby quilt isn't the best for all the stops/starts that this one wound up with. There were oodles of thread ends to bury, but it turned out better than I hoped. I still need oodles of practice. Panels are a quick way to try new stitches.

I've no particular newborn in mind but several women in our church are pregnant. It will eventually find a home. It just needs a label — and a baby boy.

6 comments:

Mary-Kay said...

If you didn't add anything else, I think it would be a "cheater" quilt. But you've gave it life. How do you like your HQ16? I'm thinking of getting one this fall and I'm curious if you wish you had got the bogger one or does the HQ16 fit all your needs?I'd appreciate any info you could give me.

Mary-Kay said...

Lets make that the bigger one not the bogger one. I should check my typing which as a rule is pretty bad.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Hi Mary-Kay,

Yes, I like the HQ-Sixteen, and yes, I'd have bought the bigger one had it been out when I bought this one. I'm sometimes frustrated with only about 14" working space. However, I really like the ease of use. It will take almost any thread and I'm now able to do a lot of stitching with a very light touch. I'd tried a bigger machine (AQS) and felt like I had an wild bull on a clothesline tether. It was scary. This one is much easier to manage. Do try several models before you make your decision.

Thanks for your comments!

Imola said...

Congrats on the blog! I have just stumbled upon it...

Best!

Peggy said...

Beautiful quilt - there's nothing cheating about quilting anything!

sewkalico said...

That's a scarey title ;-) I thought for a minute you might have some news! Sounds like you are having fun getting used to your machine.