Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Floating Red Slabs pieced

This one is now ready to quilt. I've planned rectangle spirals (not the right term but you know what I mean) on the blocks and three parallel wavy lines in the sashing. Simple. 



I've enough slabs leftover for at least two more quilts. This is from a small box of scraps — and I am still astonished. Don't throw them away!

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Floating Red Slabs

Happy New Year!

Every spare minute over the past couple of weeks I've been sewing slabs of reds, mixed with mostly reds and a few oddities that have red in them. There are now enough 12.5 x 12.5 blocks to make two, maybe three quilts. 

I tossed a few colors on the floor and tried the red slabs on them. Black was harsh, white not too interesting, but my hubby loved this one, and I think I do too. It is a bit darker and more dramatic than the photo. I'll make one with this print in likely a 2" sashing which makes the blocks look like they are floating. I've a plan for one with a lighter background but don't have the fabric selected yet.



All of these blocks came from a small plastic tote of scraps. I am amazed. I may have said this already, but one friend tosses all her scraps. I was thinking of these being charity quilts, but my hubby has already claimed the first idea for himself. He says he needs one for his occasional naps!

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Emma's Jams Finished

We (me and the friend who made most of it) are calling this quilt Emma's Jams for the inspiration and "Shabby Chic" for the way it turned out. Those cute pj's were almost impossible to quilt hence the shabby part, but chic because this one turned out so cute. 

I'm aware that stabilizer would have prevented some of the 'crawl' in the double knits and silk, but it would have spoiled the look my friend wanted. She is totally happy with the way it turned out. I feel somewhat humbled (my perfectionist side) but totally delighted that this one is unique, very cuddly, and finished. It will be gifted on Sunday and mom will send pictures of her teen's reaction. Sorry, I had no place to put it to get a better photo. It is a large twin size. The colors are close, but not quite right... and it is square and flat!!


Thursday, December 15, 2016

Emma's Jams

This quilt has a long story to go with it. I'll save that for the 'finished' photo. Right now, it is on my longarm. That was not the plan. The friend who made most of it ran out of time and asked me to quilt it. Good thing. Most who have a quilting business may have refused. It is thick, stretchy, and entirely cute. 



This shows the end I've left to finish. A real challenge? Yes, but totally delightful.

Monday, December 12, 2016

My fabric scraps are sorted to color and in boxes that are about 9" x 10" x 15" and most of them are nearly full. The red one was at about 3/4 and I just watched an episode on The Quilt Show on making 'slab' quilts. This technique has been perfected by a woman from Calgary, Alberta. Her name is  Cheryl Arkison and she has three books out. The video on TQS was fun to watch and making these improv blocks is so relaxing.

What amazes me is that with a few scraps, I already have 15 large blocks (12.5") and will have at least 15 more, just in the reds and reddish scraps from that bin! There are variations in prints, tonal values, etc. but all red and shades thereof. Here is a picture of the blocks so far. To the left is a pile of larger pieces that will finish up 15 more slabs that are already partly sewn.


Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Christmas Nativity Pattern

After securing copyrights to use the original design as inspiration for this quilt, and after making a pattern and putting it on my Etsy site in January or thereabouts, I'm delighted to report that I've sold 72 patterns. I'm not sure what is normal for something like this, but for me, this is a blessing. Most of them went to the USA, but some to other parts of the world and to Canada of course. The link to my Etsy store is on this page.

The pattern is about 36" wide, but can be enlarged and made in three panels like this photo. This particular version is about 84" wide. The pattern is also available in digital files, which saves on postage but needs to be printed on a wide printer. A nearby Staples store does that for me.



I've asked those who purchased the pattern to send me a photo of their quilt when it is done. So far, nada, but I'm sure these quilters are at work on it. It is not difficult but does take lots of time. 

I'm hoping to offer more patterns soon. I've secured a copyright for an amazing design that needs to be altered to make it 'quiltable' and then I need to make a sample with directions. Lots of work, but it is neat to be able to do this.


Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Basically Babies – Lions

Our city has a group called "Basically Babies" that makes one-year layettes for babies in needy families. They accept quilts, so I purchased some panels and am planning to give them to BB. This one is my third so far, a cute lion with cubs. I didn't need to do anything to it except trim and add borders. I put a flange in there too, just for the color. The outer border is about 4.5" and the same rusty color in the shadows on the lions. 

Actually, piecing the backing took longer than assembling the front. It will finish at about 44" x 50" — a nice size. Quilting panels is good practice on my longarm also.



Btw, a tip for some: My dryer has two steam cycles that I thought I would never use. However, when I take fabric out of my stash (I don't wash it when I buy it) the wrinkles are heavily impressed... so 20 minutes in one of those cycles 'irons' it perfectly! It probably does a bit of 'shrinking' too. I'll have to do a before & after measurement. This has been a huge time-saver and likely saves electricity too. Give it a try if you haven't already!