Friday, July 7, 2017

Importance of Copyrights

Just a quick note about a recent discovery. A quilter posted a .pdf foundation paper-pieced pattern of the Canada 150 Logo. Since I love FPP and really like that logo, I decided to make it. (See the logo here, and I have no affiliation with this company) 

After downloading the file, it was a fast project, but it has some flaws, so I designed my own pattern, which turned out much better. 

A friend asked for the pattern. I told her I first needed to check the copyright, only to find that the Canadian Government forbids the use of this design without copyright permission! The site to apply for it is HERE. After making another one from my pattern, I applied for official permission because this loge would be a great addition to a quilt made for Quilts of Valour.

Then I revisted the page where I found the pattern. The designer did not have permission to use it, changed it a little bit, and then 'copyrighted' her pattern. She also is not a Canadian. Hmmm!

The bottom line (I think) is not to copy anything someone else created -- without permission.

No comments: