From my list of 12 projects/ideas for 2016, my hubby picked number 3 for March. Years ago, I'd taught a few people how to make some basic blocks. My samples were blue and cream, all 12.5" square. I went to the storage box expecting to find 4-5 of them (poor memory) and found 17, a nice surprise!
It took a few tries to arrange them and be satisfied, as there are two of some and one of others. I decided to put sashing between them and yellow squares in the space between sashings to pick up the yellow center in the log cabin block. The applique block (half of it shows on the left) will have to go on the back.
This is what it looks like so far. The photo is a bit dull and blurry (I was talking to my son on the phone while taking the picture!) The bottom row has the sashing, which is not quite that bright in real life. It needs at least two borders. I'll likely quilt it with an all-over panto and donate it to the Canadian Quilts of Valour. It does not yet have a name.