Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Mountain -- just needs a label

This one is finally finished. It is pieced and raw edge applique, first done on a piece of pellon and then quilted. I bound it with a facing (will post the steps next time) and am very happy with it. It is 36.25" wide and 41.25" high. 

I called it My Mountain because I didn't do much of what the instructor in a landscape class said. For instance, dryer lint for clouds would have not been the right thing on this piece.


The close-ups are a tad blurred (will I ever conquer this camera?), but they show how that floral fabric was cut into bits and combined with batiks and quilting to get the effect of a rock garden. 


I'm really happy that it is done - almost. I'm not saying done until the label is made and on it. The following photo shows why I could not take my photos outside today. In AB we say, if you don't like the weather, wait a minute. This is the fence and some bushes in our back yard. The grass IS GREEN under all that!


9 comments:

Joyce said...

You did a wonderful job on this one!
The mountain is exceptional. Is that a photograph?
We are getting lots of rain but no snow yet. Fingers crossed.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I thought the snow picture was just one you had taken in the winter! Oh my, we had almost 80 degrees today. I guess it will melt fast though.

your mountain scene is unbelieveably beautiful. I'm not good at names so I'll bow out of that.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congrats on reaching this stage!!!

Fantastic quilt ... no matter HOW you made it happen.

sewkalico said...

Wow! Your mountain looks great.
BTW, have you got a macro setting on your camera (the little flower icon)? This will help with close-ups (and then turned off for distance shots).
Get out of here with that snow!! It's unbelievable!!!

Peggy said...

Gorgeous quilt - so much talent!

Joanne, Armstrong, BC said...

Gorgeous quilt - very inspiring.

I was in Calgary last week for the CQA event, and missed the second of my planned days due to terrible road conditions from the big -and unexpected - storm that blew in on Wed night. And now AB has another piece of winter on a day that should involve the tulips growing. Hope things melt soon for you.

Rose Marie said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous ..... I love everything that you did with this quilt!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Responding to Joyce's question: No, I pieced/appliqued everything. The blue fabrics were in my stash. I had to go hunting for fabric that looked like the trees, and flower fabric with the right scale and realistic flowers. The rocks are batiks, and the river is from a fat quarter so had to be pieced in the middle. Next time I will not be in such a hurry and go looking for better watery-looking fabric! I like this one, but am now ready to make something else!

TB said...

This turned out well Elsie. Will you put it in a show?