Thursday, April 1, 2010

It only takes a spark...

Thanks for the comments and ideas about what to do with my circular Mariner's Compass. Julie sent me a few ideas, but it was this brief comment in her email that set my brain in motion: "or a setting sun with most of the sky above it filled with quilting..." and at that, I was opening my graphic arts program, importing the photo of this round flimsy, and playing. 

This is what I came up with... and now am so excited to get it made. Of course it will need lots of quilting to define the water, and the colors are not right. I've some fabrics in my stash but may need more... hmm, challenges!

We have a large wall in our walkout that will be perfect for it. The top is 36" in diameter, so this one will be large! Thanks again, Julie, for that spark of an idea!

7 comments:

Jackie said...

Love it!!!!!

Peggy said...

Fabulous idea - how about some tulle over the 'water' to make it more of a reflection?

TB said...

Wow, Elsie that's awesome.

Quiltdivajulie said...

“Each of us has a spark of life inside us, and our highest endeavor ought to be to set off that spark in one another.” (Kenny Ausubel)

Happy to have had a tiny part in your awesome idea!

Wayne Kollinger said...

Elsie

I love it. It is wonderful, exciting, and inspiring.

I agree with Peg that the water half of the circle needs to be toned down in some way.

I think this should be a sunrise rather than a sunset. Then it can symbolize the begining of the quilting phenomenon.

I particularly like the idea of using an abstract quilt pattern as part of a pictorial quilt

I, for one, can't wait to see this as an actual sewn quilt. So do it. Start sewing now!!

Thanks to Julie for inspiring this idea. And thanks to you for sharing it.

Mary-Kay said...

I love it. In a previous comment, someone suggested toning down the bottom half of the compass. You could do that by putting coloured tulle over it, maybe a black or dark blue. It doesn't look dark when you put it over fabric. I saw a art quilt by Ann Lovelace(I think that's her name) at a quilt shop in Northern MI and she had black tulle over her quilt holding all the snippets down and you couldn't even tell. Just an idea.

SueR said...

What a cool, cool quilt. You really have a gift with landscapes.