Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Slugging away...

Since I've been busy quilting Dear Jane and Her Edgy Friends and not posted for ages, here is a photo of my Dear Jane with the 169 blocks. As you can see, I didn't lay it out or make it in the traditional manner. This works for our spare room queen bed.

I thought maybe I'd do another one sometime, but now that the border triangles are done (didn't put them on the first one) and the resulting top is being quilted, that might be abandoned. This pattern seems to take forever. So does the quilting, partly because I'm putting lots of stitches on it. I'm not happy with my workmanship, but that is what seeing computer quilting does to you... perfection, no skipped stitches, etc. After beating myself up and suffering from green-eyed monster bites, I've decided that the Dear Jane slogan is correct after all: Finished is Better than Perfect! I can live with that.

7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It looks great on a bed. I hear there aren't any directions for the blocks in that quilt. Maybe that's why some people make more than one quilt, trying different ways.

sewkalico said...

I think it looks wonderful on the bed and it certainly looks like a lot of work!! Now that you've done one, you may have excorcised this demon LOL

Rose Marie said...

Beautiful, beautiful quilt!

Joan said...

Your quilt looks beautiful! I was interested to read you dont use actual patterns for your quilting. Thats something I am exploring now. It seems difficult and I guess it takes quite a bit of practise. I have really enjoyed your blog, and seeing all the work you do. Thankyou

jovaliquilts said...

It's beautifully designed to fit the bed. I honestly don't know about your quilting because I can't see the stitches, but when I see hand quilting, it's the variation in stitch length and slightly wavy lines that make me practically see the quilter who made the quilt. That's something that we lose with perfection.

Cindi said...

Oh my gosh, what a great take on the DJ! I love the colors. Oh, and Elsie, remember: If you can stand 5 feet away and it looks beautiful, you did a great job! Who wants a perfect quilt anyway? I want one that I can remember those seams that just wouldn't match or that stitching that went wavy when the grandkids scared me to death. THOSE are the quilts that we treasure!

TB said...

Very nice quilt! Even if not in the traditional manner.