Finally, this one is finished. I called it "A Narrow Sea" for obvious reasons.
For the gulls, I printed pictures unto fabric and then needle-turned them, which was much easier than I expected. These birds are about 1-2" from wingtip to wingtip. A friend gave me that marvelous piece of sky fabric!
The water has beads, some yarn that looks like seaweed, lace to look like foam, and some lamé peeking out in a couple of places. I also put tulle over the darker part after deciding it was too dark.
The sand also has tulle to give it varying shades. I only used one fabric for the three sand parts. It has small beads that look like shells, plus shells that really are shells, a little piece of driftwood, plus more beads and a fence with some of the same sea-weed looking yarn hanging on it as I put in the water. I outlined the shadow thinking a darker shadow would be too busy.
I really liked making this one. The label is also long and skinny, with a background photo of the beach in Florida outside a place we sometimes go to for vacations, and where I picked up the shells and other embellishments.
Next I hope to get the skinny mountain one done. It requires lots of threadplay, which I don't like doing. I keep telling myself to bite the bullet because it will be worth it.