Friday, February 22, 2008

So many quilts, so little time...

The Kaleidoscopes are being sewn together, so I'll post photos when they are finished.

In the meantime, here is a Ruth McDowell modification that I did a couple years ago. It is a favorite of all who use my main floor bathroom... where it hangs on a dark, grayed-green wall. She uses busy fabrics in the background which gives her quilts less depth. I used plainer fabrics and made the lilies pop out a bit more.

I really like this method. This is from her book, Pieced Flowers, and
uses inset corner seams. I've done the curved seam patterns too, and find them very satisfying and not difficult. In Canmore, I drafted my own pattern using her method and will try to get at it soon.

This close-up shows a bit of the quilting. I put my blocks together vertically. In the book, they are set like view through a window with sashing between them.

2 comments:

Rose Marie said...

Your lily hanging is gorgeous and it shows up so well against the darker wall.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I really like this one. I have her books but have never tried the method. I was able to peek into her classroom at QSDS a couple times and see how it was done.