Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Split-rail Fence

It is finally done! I started this last March in a class with Cynthia England because I wanted to learn her techniques. She supplied the pattern and the fabrics (although I used a bit of my own just because).

I kept putting off working on it and called it my 'insanity quilt' for obvious reason
s. Some of the pieces are half the size of my pinkie fingernail, and I was sure I'd not make it through will all my faculties intact! Finished size is 29.25" x 39".

Cynthia is an energetic young woman and a lot of fun. I enjoyed her class and love her quilts. I thought I was a detail person, and I do love precision piecing, but after making this, I'm not so sure.
One thing I do know—I'll never tackle anything like this again, and my respect for Cynthia has quadrupled!

Double-click the photos to see them larger. The partial one shows how I quilted it, which was another gray-hair producing experience! Do I get a medal now? LOL!

9 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Actually I am surprised you finished this in LESS than one year. I think I would have taken much longer. It is absolutely beautiful and now you can say been there, done that. I only looked at the pages of her patterns once and put them right back up on the hook.

imquilternity said...

Wanda pointed me to your site and I'm so glad she did! Your quilt is just beautiful! I can understand why you referred to it as your "insanity quilt"! WOW!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad Wanda left your link for us to see your wonderful rail fence quilt. The scene is awesome, let alone the detail achieved on the rails of the fence plus the shadow, quilting itself is perfection.

J~MT

T said...

I clicked for big to see the quilting - you did a great job! What you quilted and how makes perfect sense, and it sure looks as though it enhances the quilt.

...and after all that work and angst on the quilt top, a poor or halfway job of quilting would have just been a crying shame.
(Good job!)

meggie said...

Wanda sent me. So glad she did!
Wow, that is such a glorious piece of work! You should be justifiably proud. The patience it must have taken! The finished result is just beautiful.

Elaine Adair said...

Girl, I am IMPRESSED! hope your admirers click to get the bigger picture!

Elsie Montgomery said...

You are all so kind. Thank you. I had a pride problem with this one, but God has a way of bringing me off my perch (without breaking any bones). Now I can say that working on this quilt was a huge challenge, but who knows, the next one might be even greater!

Have a creative day!

TB said...

Gorgeous! Landscape quilts often do not appeal to me, but this one is wonderful.

Rose Marie said...

It's stunning and your quilting just adds to it! Perhaps one day, I could be convinced to give this method a try .... but not right now. :o)